Trustee: Academic Model Providing Access to Healthcare (AMPATH)
- Why are you interested in becoming a Trustee?
- We have encountered a number of entrepreneurs whose families are affected by HIV/AIDS. These entrepreneurs are creditworthy, but have difficulty accessing reasonable credit terms due to HIV-related stigma. AMPATH is interested in becoming a Trustee on behalf of these individuals, because we believe the social guarantees in traditional microfinance can fail these entrepreneurs in environments where stigma remains pervasive. As life-saving HIV therapy continues to demonstrate that living with HIV is neither a death sentence nor a liability for guarantors, we hope Kiva Zip can address this financing gap as the social context evolves from stigma to acceptance.
- What is the mission of your organization?
- AMPATH is an academic health partnership between Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital, Moi University, and a consortium of North American universities. Anchored by a commitment to holistic care for all people in western Kenya, AMPATH’s mission is to unlock the unique potential of academic health centers to dramatically improve care, education, and research in global health. Through this partnership, AMPATH has developed a comprehensive primary care and chronic disease management system alongside the Kenyan Ministries of Health, and is the largest HIV control program in the country, serving a catchment of 3 million people in western Kenya.
Borrower Due Diligence
- How will you decide who to endorse as a borrower? What due diligence will you conduct?