Trustee: Community Wealth Builders
- Why are you interested in becoming a Trustee?
- We have served as a Trustee for the past several years, which fits perfectly into our work to support small businesses and entrepreneurs in Baltimore. Through our work, we know first-hand about the real struggles Baltimore small business owners and prospective entrepreneurs face particularly around accessing adequate capital. We are updating this form as we've recently rebranded to Community Wealth Builders (we used to be Strong City's Community Wealth Building Initiative).
- What is the mission of your organization?
- Community Wealth Builders mission is to foster more equitable, inclusive, sustainable neighborhood economies by promoting and catalyzing community wealth building models and strategies across Baltimore City. We are fiscally-sponsored by Strong City Baltimore. Established in 1969, Strong City Baltimore (formerly Greater Homewood Community Corporation, or GHCC) is a grass-roots, nonprofit organization with a mission to build and strengthen neighborhoods and people across Baltimore.
Borrower Due Diligence
- How will you decide who to endorse as a borrower? What due diligence will you conduct?
- Strong City’s Community Wealth Building Initiative works closely with small businesses in several Baltimore neighborhoods, and it is only these businesses with which we have extended relationships that we will consider endorsing. While we have yet to set specific criteria for this, we will rely on a process similar to the one we have been employing for our well-established Nonprofit Business Services Program. This program, which currently has about 90 nonprofit clients, enables Baltimore nonprofits to use our nonprofit legal status and leverage our administrative capacity and expertise. As part of the screening process, we ensure applicants can coherently and effectively articulate their vision and plan, and review key documents such as business development plans, fundraising plans, and market analyses. As a Kiva Trustee, we will use the effective screening process established for this program as a base for developing a screening process for this new effort. We also will research the field to identify effective practices employed by other Kiva partners, so we can incorporate them if appropriate.
About Community Wealth Builders
All Loans for this Trustee