Trustee: Nifty Hoops
Ann Arbor, MI
- Why are you interested in becoming a Trustee?
- We have been supporting agricultural projects in many ways including finance for over a decade. It is thrilling to work with the kiva platform for small scale lending. We are excited to bring this program to farms and other agricultural businesses.
- What is the mission of your organization?
- Nifty Hoops designs, manufactures and installs hoophouses for natural and sustainable food producers of all kinds across the Eastern half of the US. We have been active, through our company and affiliated groups in building and sustaining the local foods movement, including lending to farms for infrastructure development. We seek to transform the local food system to one that supports farmers and produces healthy fresh food options for all people.
Borrower Due Diligence
- How will you decide who to endorse as a borrower? What due diligence will you conduct?
- We will prioritize helping borrowers we are familiar with and are connected to our community of businesses and consumers. We will also reach out to farm borrowers across the US who are not connected to trustees in their area. We will look for natural and sustainable practices, and indications that the farmer will be successful in using the loan funds to increase capacity and benefit the farm and its community. We will seek to support all farm borrowers as we are able.