Kiva Lending Team: Tree Lovers
We loan because...
Planting and sustaining trees can provide a long lasting source of income, an important food supply, protection for the environment as well as shelter for wildlife and livestock. All this and they add beauty too.
He who plants a tree, plants a hope.
We love trees in all their various shapes and sizes; preferring loans that plant trees or keep them standing and producing, rather than ones that cut them down for their wood. The key word is sustainability.
We understand that a tree can have a multitude of wonderful uses and here are just a few:
- Alleviates the "Greenhouse Effect" by absorbing CO2, storing the carbon and producing oxygen.
- Prevents or reduces soil erosion and water pollution; acting as windbreaks, conserving rainwater, and reducing water runoff and sediment deposit after storms.
- Provides shade for livestock and people
- Provides a sustainable source of food or income.
- Fruit trees such as apple, apricot, avocado, cacao, calamondin (calamansi), Carambola(Star Fruit )carob, cherry, custard apple (sugar apple), coconut, durian, fig, guava, grapefruit, jocote (spondias purpurea), jackfruit, Jujube,lemon, lime, longan, mandarins, mango, mangosteen, marang, mulberry, Nanches, nectarine, olive, orange, papaya, peach, persimmon, pitaya (dragonfruit), plum, pomegranate, quince, Sapodilla (Manilkara zapota or Sapota) tamarillo (tree tomato)
- Nut trees such as almond, brazil, cashew, chestnut, hazelnut, Mahogany, Pecan, pistachio, Walnut
- Banana, not technically a tree, but we're not going to be pedantic about that!
- Croton tree ( for it's nuts)
- Khat - for its leaves.
- Tagua Palm (also known as Ivory Palms or Ivory-nut Palms )- nut is carved and known as vegetable ivory
Lets not forget that Trees are just beautiful too !
99+ messages. Join the team to get in on the action!
Luis received a loan from 3 team members to buy fertilizers for his fruit trees.Only 4 days left!$175 to go
Eunice received a loan from Lionel to buy seeds and start horticulture farming so as to meet the demand in her area and improve her living standards.
Lanh's Group received a loan from 2 team members to buy fertilizer for the coffee field of her family.
Jorge Patricio received a loan from 2 team members to purchase plants and organic fertilizers for cultivating naranjilla.$700 to goLend Now
Virginia received a loan from Helen to provide the yearly maintenance for her crops and assure a good harvest.
Have feedback on lending teams? Click here.