Kiva Lending Team: Tree Lovers
We loan because...
Planting and sustaining trees can provide a long lasting source of income, an important food supply, protection for the environment as well as shelter for wildlife and livestock. All this and they add beauty too.
He who plants a tree, plants a hope.
We love trees in all their various shapes and sizes; preferring loans that plant trees or keep them standing and producing, rather than ones that cut them down for their wood. The key word is sustainability.
We understand that a tree can have a multitude of wonderful uses and here are just a few:
- Alleviates the "Greenhouse Effect" by absorbing CO2, storing the carbon and producing oxygen.
- Prevents or reduces soil erosion and water pollution; acting as windbreaks, conserving rainwater, and reducing water runoff and sediment deposit after storms.
- Provides shade for livestock and people
- Provides a sustainable source of food or income.
- Fruit trees such as apple, apricot, avocado, cacao, calamondin (calamansi), Carambola(Star Fruit )carob, cherry, custard apple (sugar apple), coconut, durian, fig, guava, grapefruit, jocote (spondias purpurea), jackfruit, lemon, lime, longan, mandarins, mango, mangosteen, marang, mulberry, Nanches, nectarine, olive, orange, papaya, peach, persimmon, pitaya (dragonfruit), plum, pomegranate, quince, Sapodilla (Manilkara zapota or Sapota) tamarillo (tree tomato)
- Nut trees such as almond, brazil, cashew, chestnut, hazelnut, Mahogany, Pecan, pistachio, Walnut
- Banana, not technically a tree, but we're not going to be pedantic about that!
- Croton tree ( for it's nuts)
- Tagua Palm (also known as Ivory Palms or Ivory-nut Palms )- nut is carved and known as vegetable ivory
Lets not forget that Trees are just beautiful too !
99+ messages. Join the team to get in on the action!
Miguel Angel received a loan from 2 team members to buy banana plants to plant, in the hope of having a good harvest.
Kya Paing – 5 (E) Village Group received a loan from 2 team members to purchase additional betel seed to expand his small farm.$1,000 to goLend Now
Nuseiba received a loan from Siân to buy vegetables seedlings for her farm to keep expanding her farm.
Teófilo received a loan from j to buy fertilizer and weed his coffee farm destined for organic production.$675 to goLend Now
Donato received a loan from 2 team members to buy additional fertilizer for his coconut plantation.
Juan Gabriel received a loan from 3 team members to care for mamoncillo (Spanish lime) trees.$450 to goLend Now
Exportadora De Café Especial De Guatemala received a loan from 7 team members to support 800+ farmers by improving their productivity and increasing their income.
José Armando received a loan from 3 team members to purchase supplies and fruit tree plants in order to plant them on a parcel. This way he will have profits so that his children continue going to school.
Las Mercedes Group received a loan from 2 team members to purchase seeds and fertilizers.
Have feedback on lending teams? Click here.