Kiva Lending Team: Tree Lovers
We loan because...
Planting and sustaining trees can provide a long lasting source of income, an important food supply, protection for the environment as well as shelter for wildlife and livestock. All this and they add beauty too.
He who plants a tree, plants a hope.
We love trees in all their various shapes and sizes; preferring loans that plant trees or keep them standing and producing, rather than ones that cut them down for their wood. The key word is sustainability.
We understand that a tree can have a multitude of wonderful uses and here are just a few:
- Alleviates the "Greenhouse Effect" by absorbing CO2, storing the carbon and producing oxygen.
- Prevents or reduces soil erosion and water pollution; acting as windbreaks, conserving rainwater, and reducing water runoff and sediment deposit after storms.
- Provides shade for livestock and people
- Provides a sustainable source of food or income.
- Fruit trees such as annona ( paw paw/ sugar apple family) apple, apricot, avocado, cacao, calamondin (calamansi), Carambola(Star Fruit )carob, cherry, custard apple (sugar apple), coconut, durian, fig, guava, grapefruit, jocote (spondias purpurea), jackfruit, Jujube,lemon, lime, longan, mandarins, mango, mangosteen, marang, mulberry, Nanches, nectarine, olive, orange, papaya, peach, persimmon, pitaya (dragonfruit), plum, pomegranate, quince, Rambutan, Sapodilla (Manilkara zapota or Sapota or Mamey), Strawberry Tree - Arbutus unedo, tamarillo (tree tomato)
- Nut trees such as almond,betel, brazil, cashew, chestnut, hazelnut, Macadamia, Mahogany, Pecan, pistachio, Walnut
- Achiote tree from which the condiment Annatto comes
- Banana, not technically a tree, but we're not going to be pedantic about that!
- Croton tree ( for it's nuts)
- Khat - for its leaves.
- Pacay also known as Ice Cream bean tree
- Tagua Palm (also known as Ivory Palms or Ivory-nut Palms )- nut is carved and known as vegetable ivory
Lets not forget that Trees are just beautiful too !
99+ messages. Join the team to get in on the action!
Juan Martin received a loan from 3 team members to maintain his olive crop so he has a more productive yield.Only 45 hours left!$125 to go
$300 to goLend Now
Ahmed received a loan from 4 team members to buy seeds, trees, fertilizers, and pesticides.$1,725 to goLend Now
Mustafa received a loan from 2 team members to buy seeds, fertilizers and pesticides for his work.$1,150 to goLend Now
María received a loan from Rob to plant 0.5 manzanas of cabbage, 0.12 manzanas of papaya, and 0.5 manzanas of carrots.$475 to goLend Now
$1,300 to goLend Now
Bình received a loan from 2 team members to purchase seedlings, fertilizer and pay wages for workers to grow industrial trees for sale.$1,100 to goLend Now
Alonso received a loan from Stefanie to buy inputs for supporting his cultivation of mamón chino trees.Only 3 days left!$1,050 to go
$275 to goLend Now
Capeti Calle Abajo Community-Owned Bank received a loan from Nikolaus to provide working capital for the farmers of an indigenous community-owned bank.
Sopheoun received a loan from Kent to buy a new motorbike to deliver her supplies and commute from home to her farm.$500 to goLend Now
Have feedback on lending teams? Click here.