Kiva Lending Team: Tree Lovers
We loan because...
Planting and sustaining trees can provide a long lasting source of income, an important food supply, protection for the environment as well as shelter for wildlife and livestock. All this and they add beauty too.
He who plants a tree, plants a hope.
We love trees in all their various shapes and sizes; preferring loans that plant trees or keep them standing and producing, rather than ones that cut them down for their wood. The key word is sustainability.
We understand that a tree can have a multitude of wonderful uses and here are just a few:
- Alleviates the "Greenhouse Effect" by absorbing CO2, storing the carbon and producing oxygen.
- Prevents or reduces soil erosion and water pollution; acting as windbreaks, conserving rainwater, and reducing water runoff and sediment deposit after storms.
- Provides shade for livestock and people
- Provides a sustainable source of food or income.
- Fruit trees such as annona ( paw paw/ sugar apple family) apple, apricot, avocado, cacao, calamondin (calamansi), Carambola(Star Fruit )carob, cherry, custard apple (sugar apple), coconut, durian, fig, guava, grapefruit, jocote (spondias purpurea), jackfruit, Jujube,lemon, lime, longan, mandarins, mango, mangosteen, marang, mulberry, Nanches, nectarine, olive, orange, papaya, peach, persimmon, pitaya (dragonfruit), plum, pomegranate, quince, Rambutan, Sapodilla (Manilkara zapota or Sapota or Mamey), Strawberry Tree - Arbutus unedo, tamarillo (tree tomato)
- Nut trees such as almond,betel, brazil, cashew, chestnut, hazelnut, Macadamia, Mahogany, Pecan, pistachio, Walnut
- Achiote tree from which the condiment Annatto comes
- Banana, not technically a tree, but we're not going to be pedantic about that!
- Croton tree ( for it's nuts)
- Khat - for its leaves.
- Pacay also known as Ice Cream bean tree
- Tagua Palm (also known as Ivory Palms or Ivory-nut Palms )- nut is carved and known as vegetable ivory
Lets not forget that Trees are just beautiful too !
99+ messages. Join the team to get in on the action!
$12,350 to goLend Now
Corazon received a loan from Rob to buy fertilizer and other farm supplies to maintain her farm land.
Nataly received a loan from Tim to purchase avocado plants, fertilizers, and lime, and pay for irrigation.
Leonora received a loan from 3 team members to plant olive trees on her family's land so she will be able to provide herself the olive oil needed for her family's consumption.
Vorn received a loan from Nikolaus for purchasing the fertilizers, soils, cashew seeds to plant when the next season comes.
Diella received a loan from 3 team members to buy the needed fertilizer for her family's olive orchards, so they will be able to have a good harvest next season.
Avemiles received a loan from j to pay for soil amendments, weeding, and fixing up his coffee processing station.
Pauline received a loan from Billy to buy farming inputs that she will use to improve her production and make more income for her family.
Jilmer received a loan from Diane (& Bill) to pay harvest day workers and to fix the coffee processing system.
Have feedback on lending teams? Click here.