Kiva Lending Team: Kiva U Schools
(Note: this team was formerly called "Kiva High School")
Kiva U Schools is an international network of students and their
respective chapters, unified by a belief that poverty can be alleviated and that
microfinance is an effective tool to achieve this end. Students organize chapters to join with like-minded students in their community and
around the country to raise money to battle poverty, not with sympathy, but with business transactions rooted in mutual dignity. Kiva U is guided by
these goals, which we affirm to be our mission:
• To inspire awareness of global issues, especially poverty and hunger;
• To bring together and subsequently organize students interested in fighting
• To encourage interest in microfinance as a tool to combat poverty;
• To raise money to invest in worthy entrepreneurs in developing states,
countering the predatory loaning practices so prevalent among the world's poorest regions;
• To develop in its members a sense of global responsibility;
• To enable others to become more aware of global issues such as poverty
and help them realize the power of microfinance;
• To establish a network of high school chapters around the country in which
this organization will be a central resource;
• To allow high school students to play a direct role in alleviating global
poverty through loans to entrepreneurs in the developing world.
Location: High Schools Across the United States
33 messages. Join the team to get in on the action!
Tình received a loan from 1 team members to purchase books, school supplies, a bicycle, and to pay school fees for her children.
Alice received a loan from 1 team members to purchase more medicines to sell.
Jayne received a loan from 1 team members to buy refillable bottles and reach consumers who could not previously afford clean drinking water.
Marwa received a loan from 1 team members to purchase a new stock of chocolate, candies and some decoration tools such as golden paper and colorful ribbon to improve her business.
U Saw Ye Win received a loan from 1 team members to convert seasonal workers into permanent jobs.
Victor received a loan from 1 team members to buy a solar lighting system that provides his family with a better standard of living.
Anatolia received a loan from 1 team members to buy more fish from fishermen.
Erkamo received a loan from 1 team members to buy mineral fertilizer and seeds for her farming business.
Mary received a loan from 1 team members to buy food ingredients like milk, wheat floor, cooking oil, charcoal, beans, rice, etc.
Chí received a loan from 1 team members to purchase sand, cement, bricks, and equipment to install a clean water system.
Seraphine received a loan from 1 team members to buy more medicines for selling.
Have feedback on lending teams? Click here.