Who Can Be a Kiva Fellow?
- Who is your typical Kiva Fellow?
- I am not a US citizen - can I be a fellow?
- I am 20 years old and will be 21 in a few months--can I be a fellow now?
- What is the average age of a Kiva Fellow?
- Is this a good way to gain my first immersion abroad experience?
- Can I be a fellow with someone else?
- I want to bring my kids with me when I travel - can I be a fellow?
- Can vegetarians be fellows?
What are the Kiva Fellows Program Requirements?
- How long is the fellowship?
- Can I go for fewer than 16 weeks?
- What if I decide I want to stay in the field for longer than 16 weeks?
- I am traveling in a country with a Kiva Field Partner for 2 weeks - can I be a fellow?
- I am going to be in a country doing a research project, can I be a Kiva Fellow?
- Where can I learn more about being a Media Fellow?
The Application Process
- Where can I find the application?
- When can I apply?
- What does "Preferred Training Date" mean?
- What if I'm having trouble accessing my draft application?
- What happens after I have submitted my application?
- I submitted my application; when will I hear from Kiva?
- Can I apply a year in advance of the training class for which I'd like to be considered?
- Can I interview in person?
- Can I talk to someone about the Kiva Fellows Program?
Where Do Kiva Fellows Go?
- Where do Kiva Fellows serve?
- What are Kiva's priorities in terms of placing fellows? How does Kiva chose fellow placements?
- Where can I go if I speak a second language?
- Where can I go if I only speak English?
- Where can I learn more about Kiva's field partners?
- Can I be a fellow in a country where Kiva does not have a field partner?
- Will there be time for me to travel and sightsee while I am abroad?
- Will I be able to meet other fellows while in the field?
- What if I’m interested in serving in the US?
- If I live in the same city as one of Kiva's field partners, can I continue living and working here while being a fellow with Kiva?
- I'm going to be in a Kiva country, but I don't have the time or resources to contribute to an entire fellowship. What else can I do?
What Do Kiva Fellows Do?
- What will my daily tasks be as a fellow?
- What are the job requirements of the fellowship?
- Will I get to meet borrowers as a Kiva Fellow?
- Will I get to blog about my experiences?
- Who are my contacts at Kiva while in the field?
- Can I contact a Kiva Field Partner directly?
- Can I be an intern at the Kiva office instead of being a fellow?
Preparations, Health, & Safety
- What happens if I am accepted?
- What should I do to prepare for being a fellow?
- What are my housing options?
- Who pays for travel and medical insurance?
- What kind of visa will I apply for?
- What vaccinations will I need?
- What kind of technology will I be using in the field?
- Is it safe to volunteer in a certain country, region, or city?
- Can I be a fellow in active or post conflict zones?
- What happens if there is a crisis while I'm in-country?
- Does Kiva provide funding for fellows?
- What will my costs be as a fellow?
- How have other Kiva Fellows fundraised for their trip?
- What grants do Kiva Fellows usually get?
- Can Kiva help me get a grant?
- Will the field partner(s) pay for or arrange my accommodations while I am abroad?
- Can my company or organization sponsor me?
Kiva Fellows Training
- What training is involved for Kiva Fellows?
- When are the trainings?
- Is the training required?
Kiva Fellow Alumni
- What opportunities are there for Kiva Fellow Alumni to stay involved with Kiva?
- Is there a Kiva Fellow Alumni network?
- Can I get a full-time job working at Kiva after the fellowship?