Trustee: The Helius Foundation
North Carolina Wide, NC
- Why are you interested in becoming a Trustee?
- We work with small businesses, specifically necessity-driven entrepreneurs. We work with clients in 2 phases. The first is a 12 week intensive training dealing with finances, marketing and other business building techniques. The second Phase is a one year coaching and mentoring relationship where we work with the entrepreneur so that they can build their business to earn a fair living wage. We work with anywhere from 30-50 entrepreneurs a year and many of them are in need of capital in order to grow. We are in a place where we can vouch for their businesses and the owners themselves.
- What is the mission of your organization?
- We provide coaching and mentoring for necessity-driven entrepreneurs so that they can support their families with dignity in the face of educational, financial, and racial inequality. Our goal is to help them build their businesses to earn a fair living wage for themselves and their employees.
Borrower Due Diligence
- How will you decide who to endorse as a borrower? What due diligence will you conduct?
- Borrowers must first go through our 12 week training program. They will work closely with a coach, as well as mentors throughout the community. We will have intimate knowledge of their finances, their work ethic, and the progress they are making on their business. We will not supply "walk-in" loan endorsements. We will continue to work with these entrepreneurs throughout the next year.