Trustee: Empowered Women International
- Why are you interested in becoming a Trustee?
- Empowered Women International (EWI) provides a yearlong Entrepreneur Incubator, a program that delivers entrepreneurship education, business start-up and mentoring for immigrant, refugee and low-income women in the Washington DC Metro Area. The incubator includes four project components: (1) Entrepreneur Training for Success – intensive 3-month business start-up, (2) Grow My Business – 9-month accelerated business growth and preparation for capital access, (3) Mentoring and (4) Civic Engagement. After completing their business plans and launching their businesses, graduate entrepreneurs seek capital to invest in their micro-businesses and market their goods.
- What is the mission of your organization?
- Started in 2001 by an immigrant woman, Marga Fripp, Empowered Women International (EWI) is an award-winning non-profit organization that channels the entrepreneurial spirit and creative capital of talented and high-potential immigrant, refugee and low-income women into new jobs and small businesses. EWI is a leader in women’s empowerment and micro-enterprise development in the Washington DC Metro area serving 200 women each year.
Borrower Due Diligence
- How will you decide who to endorse as a borrower? What due diligence will you conduct?
- All borrowers are graduates of our program. We worked with these women one-on-one and have a relationship that ensures trust and accountability. We are endorsing borrowers who have: Strong character; Viable business plans vetted by EWI; Less than $3,000 of past due debt; Debt to income ratio less than 35%; Not in bankruptcy /foreclosure proceedings and Loans must be for a legal, business purpose.
About Empowered Women International
Trustee type: Entrepreneurship Incubator, Mentoring And Micro-enterprise Development
Location: Alexandria, VA
Time on Kiva: November 6, 2012 (52 months)
Total loans: $5,000
Repaid in full: Not enough data
Defaulted: Not enough data
Repayment rate: Not enough data
All Loans for this Trustee