Trustee: Frank Buchanan
- What is your profession?
- Social entrepreneur
- Why are you interested in becoming a Trustee?
- Because I want to help the small retailers I work with gain access to low-interest capital in order to keep their businesses going after the fire that ravaged their market (Gikomba) last week.
- Tell us about your profession or other relevant background.
- I was a management consultant for 5 years in New York City. At a certain point I realized that I didn't care about what I was doing, so I decided to redirect my professional life towards something I cared about. I then decided to move to Kenya to attempt to launch a social venture based on a novel idea to increase the income of small retailers.
Borrower Due Diligence
- How will you decide who to endorse as a borrower? What due diligence will you conduct?
- I will start with the small retailers in Gikomba market that lost their inventory in the fire last week, because I think they are the most in need right now. However, they are not random unknown retailers; these are retailers that I have known and worked with for months now in my organization. During this time I have gotten to know them, both on a personal and professional level. I have also gained insight into their integrity and professionalism because I also work with their suppliers, so I know which retailers are good about repaying debts to suppliers. Among the retailers I know that lost their inventory in the fire, I will choose those that I believe are the best candidates to receive the first loans.
About Frank Buchanan
All Loans for this Trustee