Trustee: California FarmLink
Santa Cruz, CA
- Why are you interested in becoming a Trustee?
- Becoming a Kiva Trustee will further the mission of California FarmLink, which is to provide farmers with the tools they need to lease and purchase land, access capital, and improve business and financial management skills. Endorsing trusted clients and partners will allow FarmLink to expand our access to capital services and link farmers in need of smaller loans to which they may not otherwise not have access. Kiva Zip provides a conduit for micro-finance that is essential to beginning or expanding small farmers. California FarmLink looks forward to facilitating access to capital for small farmers from the Kiva Zip program, through continued endorsement and support of borrowers.
- What is the mission of your organization?
- California FarmLink is a small nonprofit organization that provides farmers with the tools they need to lease and purchase land, access capital, and improve business and financial management skills. California agricultural land is being developed at ever-increasing rates. Meanwhile, California farmers age 65 and over outnumber farmers under the age of 25 by approximately 60 to one. Beginning and emerging farmers face numerous obstacles to achieving their dreams. These include a lack of information about financing options and other resources crucial to their success. Retiring farmers lack information about proven, innovative ways to keep land in agricultural production while simultaneously meeting financial goals related to retirement and estate planning. The future of agricultural production and the viability of productive, diversified, and sustainable farms is far too important to be left to a random process of “marry or inherit.” California FarmLink provides a range of services to facilitate a transition from one farm owner to the next.
Borrower Due Diligence
- How will you decide who to endorse as a borrower? What due diligence will you conduct?
- California FarmLink plans to endorse farmers with which the organization has an existing relationship, as a client who has received help with accessing land, capital, and/or business training. Oftentimes, the services provided will have included a preliminary business, financial, and/or loan-use assessment. For all potential Kiva Zip borrowers, FarmLink will also do additional due diligence so that we feel comfortable that the farmer has the business and financial capacity to repay the loan. This may include an updated farm business plan assessment, review of financials and/or checking references.
About California FarmLink
Trustee type: Non-Profit
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Time on Kiva: June 4, 2012 (51 months)
Total loans: $42,000
Paying on time: Not enough data
Paying back late: Not enough data
Repaid in full: Not enough data
Defaulted: Not enough data
Repayment rate: 100%
All Loans for this Trustee