A loan of $575 helped to buy manure and fertiliser and to pay labourers for his coffee farm.


Rolando's story

Rolando is 51 years old and married. He lives with his siblings in a village in La Flecha, Santa Barbara.

Rolando has always worked in farming. For ten years, he has grown corn and beans as his main source of income. Rolando works in a field and sells his products in the local area.

Rolando is applying for a loan of 13,000 Lempira. He will invest 75% of the loan in manure and fertilisers, and use the other 25% to pay labourers to work in his coffee fields. This loan will allow Rolando to look after his crops better in order to increase production.

Rolando's goal is to grow coffee on 1.75 acres of land. He also wants to be a big coffee producer and to enjoy a higher quality of life with his family.

Translated from Spanish by Kiva volunteer Iain Gaw


This loan is special because:

It allows smallholder farmers to purchase inputs to improve yields on favorable terms.



Loan details


Lenders and lending teams




Loan details