Join Hugh's team on Kiva
Every day, Kiva connects thousands of people to borrowers and partner institutions around the world, working together to create opportunity and alleviate poverty. It only takes $25 to get started.
- General StorePhilippinesFrancis is 23 years old and married. His wife manages their retail business in the barrio. To supplement his wife's earnings, he operates their motorcycle for passenger tra...Read their story >
- PigsPhilippinesMa. Teresa is 46 years old and has four children. Ma. Teresa is married and has one child who is in school.
She is in the agricultural business in the Philippine...Read their story >
- Timber SalesKenyaEmily is 43 years old and is married. She is a dairy farmer and also deals in timber sales. Her average monthly income from the business is 20,000 Kenya shillings.
Read their story >
- FarmingKenyaMary is a 67-year-old mother and a repeat borrower who lives in Kenyenya, a town surrounded by prime agricultural lands that favor large-scale grain farming, dairy and hort...Read their story >
- PubUgandaBetty is a single mother of three, all are in school. She runs a small bar, which has been her main source of income for the past 5 years. She started this business to give...Read their story >
Kiva lenders, like Hugh, combat poverty daily by making small loans to borrowers around the world. We believe in fair access to affordable capital for people to improve their own lives.
Often only a relatively small amount of money stands in the way of Kiva borrowers and their dreams. Whether it’s a Kenyan farmer who needs $500 in order to double her grain production, or a young Bolivian woman who lacks the $1,500 tuition for nursing school, Kiva lenders provide a hand up to these and countless other borrowers.
Join us and make a loan today.
- Choose a borrower
Browse hundreds of borrower profiles and find a story that connects with you.
- Make a loan
Click ‘Lend’ to send money via our Field Partners, who vet, distribute and administer each loan.
- Get repaid
Receive updates as the borrowers you support succeed and repay their loans.
When borrowers repay, that money is yours to keep, donate to Kiva or lend again to empower someone new!
We are a non-profit organization with a mission to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty. Leveraging the internet and a worldwide network of microfinance institutions, Kiva lets individuals lend as little as $25 to help create opportunity around the world.
Get started today
Get started — choose one of these Kiva borrowers...
... or browse all available loans
There are 3,989 loans currently seeking funding on Kiva.