Join Karin McDermott's team on Kiva
Every day, Kiva connects thousands of people to borrowers and partner institutions around the world, working together to create opportunity and alleviate poverty. It only takes $25 to get started.
- FarmingKenyaDorcas is a woman with dreams. Her determination to improve her family's quality of life, based on honest work, has allowed her to make an income, thanks to her mixed farm ...Read their story >
- Fruits & VegetablesEl SalvadorJoaquín, 24 years old, studied up to the first year of secondary school and did not continue due to economic problems. He is partnered and his partner takes care of the hou...Read their story >
- Clothing SalesTanzaniaSamwel is hardworking clothes vendor. He operates a small boutique that sells women's clothes to support his family. He has been operating this business for more than thre...Read their story >
- Personal ExpensesMyanmar (Burma)Tu (first on the left) is 30 years old, single, and shares her home with two family members. Together, they generate income by farming and rolling cigarettes. In addition t...Read their story >
- Cosmetics SalesKenyaNjeru is 30 years old, single and blessed with 1 child. She sells cosmetics for a living and likes the business as it meets the needs of her family. She sells perfumes, bod...Read their story >
Kiva lenders, like Karin McDermott, combat poverty daily by making small loans to borrowers around the world. We believe in fair access to affordable capital for people to improve their own lives.
Often only a relatively small amount of money stands in the way of Kiva borrowers and their dreams. Whether it’s a Kenyan farmer who needs $500 in order to double her grain production, or a young Bolivian woman who lacks the $1,500 tuition for nursing school, Kiva lenders provide a hand up to these and countless other borrowers.
Join us and make a loan today.
- Choose a borrower
Browse hundreds of borrower profiles and find a story that connects with you.
- Make a loan
Click ‘Lend’ to send money via our Field Partners, who vet, distribute and administer each loan.
- Get repaid
Receive updates as the borrowers you support succeed and repay their loans.
When borrowers repay, that money is yours to keep, donate to Kiva or lend again to empower someone new!
We are a non-profit organization with a mission to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty. Leveraging the internet and a worldwide network of microfinance institutions, Kiva lets individuals lend as little as $25 to help create opportunity around the world.
Get started today
Get started — choose one of these Kiva borrowers...
... or browse all available loans
There are 4,680 loans currently seeking funding on Kiva.