Join ellen's team on Kiva
Every day, Kiva connects thousands of people to borrowers and partner institutions around the world, working together to create opportunity and alleviate poverty. It only takes $25 to get started.
- FarmingKyrgyzstanGulmira is 53 years old, married and has 3 children. She has a high school education and has been involved in agriculture starting 20 years ago. Thanks to Gulmira's hard wo...Read their story >
- CraftsTajikistanThis young man is named Muborakshoh. He is 33 years old and is a very talented craftsman in the production of Tajik cradles and wooden plates. Muborakshoh is married to his...Read their story >
- CattleEl SalvadorCarlos is married. His wife does domestic work. He has five children, four of whom are dependents and are going to school.
Carlos works in agriculture, which he...Read their story >
- RetailKyrgyzstanRaisa, age 63, is married and has a son and a daughter. She has a secondary-school education, and since 2008 she has sold cement as her main source of income. Specifically,...Read their story >
- WeavingTongaMeet Pitisi. She is 60 years old, and married with nine grown ups. Pitisi and her husband, together with their youngest daughter, live in their own two bedroom house on the...Read their story >
Kiva lenders, like ellen, combat poverty daily by making small loans to borrowers around the world. We believe in fair access to affordable capital for people to improve their own lives.
Often only a relatively small amount of money stands in the way of Kiva borrowers and their dreams. Whether it’s a Kenyan farmer who needs $500 in order to double her grain production, or a young Bolivian woman who lacks the $1,500 tuition for nursing school, Kiva lenders provide a hand up to these and countless other borrowers.
Join us and make a loan today.
- Choose a borrower
Browse hundreds of borrower profiles and find a story that connects with you.
- Make a loan
Click ‘Lend’ to send money via our Field Partners, who vet, distribute and administer each loan.
- Get repaid
Receive updates as the borrowers you support succeed and repay their loans.
When borrowers repay, that money is yours to keep, donate to Kiva or lend again to empower someone new!
We are a non-profit organization with a mission to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty. Leveraging the internet and a worldwide network of microfinance institutions, Kiva lets individuals lend as little as $25 to help create opportunity around the world.
Get started today
Get started — choose one of these Kiva borrowers...
... or browse all available loans
There are 5,394 loans currently seeking funding on Kiva.