Join Karen on Kiva
Every day, Kiva connects thousands of people to borrowers and partner institutions around the world, working together to create opportunity and alleviate poverty. It only takes $25 to get started.
- Clothing SalesEl SalvadorYanira is married, 27 years old, and mother to three children ages 2, 5, and 7. The family lives together. Yanira is an enterprising woman who sought an alternative manner ...Read their story >
- Personal ExpensesPhilippinesClaudio is 63 years old and lives in Salimpono, Pananon, Misamis Occidental. He is single with no dependents.
Claudio has a passion for cooking. He has worked a...Read their story >
- Grocery StoreCambodiaVuthy is 54 years old, and is a married man with three children. He and his wife are selling beverages and groceries. Vuthy has been running this business for 36 months. He...Read their story >
- Shoe SalesKenyaNaomi is 58 years old and is a happily married businesswoman. Her husband is also a businessman and they support one another. Naomi sells shoes for a living and has been ...Read their story >
- Food Production/SalesEl SalvadorBlanca is the mother of three children who depend on her economically. Her home does not receive remittances. The work she does in order to have economic income is making...Read their story >
Kiva lenders, like Karen, combat poverty daily by making small loans to borrowers around the world. We believe in fair access to affordable capital for people to improve their own lives.
Often only a relatively small amount of money stands in the way of Kiva borrowers and their dreams. Whether it’s a Kenyan farmer who needs $500 in order to double her grain production, or a young Bolivian woman who lacks the $1,500 tuition for nursing school, Kiva lenders provide a hand up to these and countless other borrowers.
Join us and make a loan today.
- Choose a borrower
Browse hundreds of borrower profiles and find a story that connects with you.
- Make a loan
Click ‘Lend’ to send money via our Field Partners, who vet, distribute and administer each loan.
- Get repaid
Receive updates as the borrowers you support succeed and repay their loans.
When borrowers repay, that money is yours to keep, donate to Kiva or lend again to empower someone new!
We are a non-profit organization with a mission to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty. Leveraging the internet and a worldwide network of microfinance institutions, Kiva lets individuals lend as little as $25 to help create opportunity around the world.
Get started today
Get started — choose one of these Kiva borrowers...
... or browse all available loans
There are 2,779 loans currently seeking funding on Kiva.