Poverty is prevalent in Kenya due to lack of jobs. There are few opportunities for people to develop their skills. Lack of investment in the manufacturing se...Read their story >
Join Jodie on Kiva
Every day, Kiva connects thousands of people to borrowers and partner institutions around the world, working together to create opportunity and alleviate poverty. It only takes $25 to get started.
- ManufacturingKenyaThe Problem
- Motorcycle TransportKenyaJoash is a married family man with three children. His wife is a farmer and takes care of the home, and they support one another.
He is a hardworking man who fer...Read their story >
- Food Production/SalesSamoaPauline is a 24-year old-mother with four children. To earn a living, she runs a small business selling tuna and toasted sandwiches in her community.
Pauline ha...Read their story >
- AgricultureEl SalvadorEleuterio studied up to the 2nd grade in school, his life partner work at domestic jobs and a granddaughter lives in their house.
Eleuterio works growing corn a...Read their story >
- General StorePhilippinesPrescila is 56 years old and married with five children. She works very hard to provide for them.
Prescila runs a general store in the Philippines an...Read their story >
Kiva lenders, like Jodie, combat poverty daily by making small loans to borrowers around the world. We believe in fair access to affordable capital for people to improve their own lives.
Often only a relatively small amount of money stands in the way of Kiva borrowers and their dreams. Whether it’s a Kenyan farmer who needs $500 in order to double her grain production, or a young Bolivian woman who lacks the $1,500 tuition for nursing school, Kiva lenders provide a hand up to these and countless other borrowers.
Join us and make a loan today.
- Choose a borrower
Browse hundreds of borrower profiles and find a story that connects with you.
- Make a loan
Click ‘Lend’ to send money via our Field Partners, who vet, distribute and administer each loan.
- Get repaid
Receive updates as the borrowers you support succeed and repay their loans.
When borrowers repay, that money is yours to keep, donate to Kiva or lend again to empower someone new!
We are a non-profit organization with a mission to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty. Leveraging the internet and a worldwide network of microfinance institutions, Kiva lets individuals lend as little as $25 to help create opportunity around the world.
Get started today
Get started — choose one of these Kiva borrowers...
... or browse all available loans
There are 2,771 loans currently seeking funding on Kiva.