She needs a loan to buy clothes to open her own clothes sta...Read their story >
Join Joan on Kiva
Every day, Kiva connects thousands of people to borrowers and partner institutions around the world, working together to create opportunity and alleviate poverty. It only takes $25 to get started.
- Clothing SalesBoliviaMaria works at a shopping center where she sells clothes. She is single and she doesnt have children.
She needs a loan to buy clothes to open her own clothes sta...Read their story >Funding via IMPRO
- DairyKenyaHelina is a married woman with five children. For 15 years, she has been a farmer. Helina grows potatoes and maize and also keeps cows. She describes herself as honest. Hel...Read their story >Funding via SMEP Microfinance Bank
- Timber SalesKenyaChristopher is a single man. He describes himself to be honest. He operates a retail business where he sells timber. He has been involved in this business for six years. Hi...Read their story >Funding via SMEP Microfinance Bank
- FishingVietnamMrs Thanh is standing first from the right in the photo. She is 58 years old and married with 3 children.
In this group, her circumstances are the most difficult...Read their story >Funding via Thanh Hoa Microfinance Institution Limited Liability
- LivestockMaliMamoudou is the person displaying the steer in the photo. He is a member of a group composed of men. His is a Malian national, married, and the father of five children, of ...Read their story >Funding via Réseau de Micro-institutions de Croissance de Revenus (RMCR)
Kiva lenders, like Joan, combat poverty daily by making small loans to borrowers around the world. We believe in fair access to affordable capital for people to improve their own lives.
Often only a relatively small amount of money stands in the way of Kiva borrowers and their dreams. Whether it’s a Kenyan farmer who needs $500 in order to double her grain production, or a young Bolivian woman who lacks the $1,500 tuition for nursing school, Kiva lenders provide a hand up to these and countless other borrowers.
Join us and make a loan today.
- Choose a borrower
Browse hundreds of borrower profiles and find a story that connects with you.
- Make a loan
Click ‘Lend’ to send money via our Field Partners, who vet, distribute and administer each loan.
- Get repaid
Receive updates as the borrowers you support succeed and repay their loans.
When borrowers repay, that money is yours to keep, donate to Kiva or lend again to empower someone new!
We are a non-profit organization with a mission to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty. Leveraging the internet and a worldwide network of microfinance institutions, Kiva lets individuals lend as little as $25 to help create opportunity around the world.
Get started today
Get started — choose one of these Kiva borrowers...
... or browse all available loans
There are 4,158 loans currently seeking funding on Kiva.