Total loan: $1,750
Istaravshan, Sughd Province, Tajikistan / Food
Flag of Tajikistan
Ganijon's loan finished fundraising,
but these similar borrowers just need a little more help to reach their goals!
A loan helped to increase the inventory of foodstuff items in his grocery store so as to expand his range of product offerings.
Ganijon owns and operates a grocery store business. Approximately 10 years ago, Ganijon rented a place that had terrible conditions and was very deteriorated, and it was there that he started his business. He improved the space and expanded his grocery, and now it is one of the most popular groceries in his community. He has proven his belief that a person can reach his goals little by little through perseverance and dedication. Thanks to his skills and strengths, and fueled by the desire to provide a better future for his family, he moved from being a simple salesman to becoming his own boss. Ganijon is requesting a loan of 8,000 Somoni to increase the inventory of foodstuff items in his grocery store. Ganijon is ready to work even harder, make sacrifices, and push himself to achieve his goal and become a successful entrepreneur. It seems certain that his perseverance and clear vision will become key factors for the success of his small business. More about Tajikistan: Tajikistan is known for its rich history. It was a key post along the Silk Road and served as the location for the end of Alexander the Great's rule. It has also produced great thinkers, philosophers, scientists, and poets, including Rudaki, Avicenna, Ferdowsi, Omar Khayyam, Jomi, and Rumi. The country is home to epic mountain passes, communities that still speak the ancient Sogdian language, and a civilization that dates back to the fourth millennium BC. Even today, it is a complex mixture of the Islamic faith, Soviet culture, New West culture, and Central Asian traditions. But Tajikistan is also the poorest of the former Soviet republics. The civil war, which ignited soon after its independence from the U.S.S.R., further damaged the already weak economy. In addition, 93 percent of the country is mountainous, leaving only 7 percent of arable land. These conditions have resulted in high levels of unemployment and have forced hundreds of thousands to seek work in other countries, mainly Russia. While the people of Tajikistan are working to improve its agricultural production and manufacturing sector, nearly two-thirds of the population still live in abject poverty. More about IMON International: Since December 2007, IMON International has worked closely with Kiva and Kiva lenders to ensure that poor and low-income clients represent a viable business proposition. Funds raised through Kiva have already been distributed to thousands of IMON International's clients and will continue to provide thousands more with permanent access to the varied financial services they need. To learn more about IMON International's work, please visit www.imon.tj.