100%

funded

Total loan: $3,550

Mujeres Cristal Group

Flag of Guatemala
Patzun, Chimaltenango, Chimaltenango, Guatemala / Food

Mujeres Cristal Group's loan finished fundraising,
but these similar borrowers just need a little more help to reach their goals!


A loan helped to buy supplies for her bakery and for her traditional textile business.


Mujeres Cristal Group's story

The mouthwatering smells emanating from a Guatemalan bakery come from freshly baked sweet rolls, croissants and French bread that are baked on a daily basis. Pascuala, a 35-year-old married mother of five children all over the age of 9, is a baker. Her husband works as a bricklayer. Pascuala also embroiders colorful traditional blouses called “huipiles”. Their combined income is sufficient, so far, to cover their household needs and the education of their children.

Pascuala is requesting a Kiva loan and will use 80% of it to buy baskets to transport the baked goods, as well as flour, sugar and firewood. She will use the other 20% to buy thread.

Pascuala is the President of the Friendship Bridge Trust Bank “Mujeres Cristal” located in a rural area in the department/state of Chimaltenango. There are six other Maya Kaqchikel ladies in the group. Although the ladies have an average of three years of formal education, they appreciate their monthly educational sessions when they learn about an aspect of four topics: health, family, women and business. Especially relevant with the Coronavirus are topics like hygiene, nutrition, health and the importance of social distancing. Every other month, the women have access to basic healthcare services. The effective combination of loans, education and healthcare services is called “Microcredit Plus”.

Thank you so much, Kiva lenders, for your special generosity during this challenging time. Pascuala and her friends are determined to succeed.