Update on the "Join me on the Bridge" Event
This past Monday, March 8th, Kiva Field Partner Women for Women International hosted a successful global event called "Join me on the Bridge" in honor of International Women's Day. Women for Women International recently sent us this update and we wanted to share this information with all of you.
Nearly 9,000 women and men gathered at over 100 different events from all over the world to call for an end to war and to demonstrate that women can build the bridges of peace and hope.
- In San Francisco, over 130 people came together for this event on the Golden Gate Bridge.
- In New York City, hundreds of supporters celebrated at City Hall Park after walking across the Brooklyn Bridge, which was covered with supporters.
- In Kosovo, 5,000 women attended the celebration on the Bridge in the Dragodan in Prishtina.
- In London, hundred of supporters, including award winning singer-songwriter Annie Lennox and Prime Minister of the United Kingdom's wife Sarah Brown, met on the Millennium Bridge
- Bosnia and Herzegovina saw over 1,000 women attend the celebration on Ars Aevi Bridge in Sarajevo.
- The Democratic Republic of the Congo and Rwanda, Nigeria, and Sudan also saw hundreds of people from all over come together to celebrate this event.